V.I. Control Forum is a virtual-instruments-applications-oriented-community that has some of the most highly experienced post contributors in real time. Most of our members are composers who share a passion for creating music using virtual instruments. VI Control Forum has become an important resource for thousands of musicians and composers all over the world. Many of these contributors are experts in their field.
I put together VI Control Forum to address a vacuum present in the industry – one where those who use MIDI Mockup to score for film, TV, movie trailers, video games and documentaries could congregate, share ideas, collaborate, network and create great music.
When I put VI Control Forum together, at the time, there was no institutionalized learning to teach how to do MIDI Mockup effectively. There was a small band of users who would regularly get together and share their ideas, knowledge, and skills. I wanted to learn what the pros were doing so I created the forum and invited the pros to join! I began to learn that way – many did. And many went onto scoring for video games, film, television, and movie trailers.
Historically, VI has been a composer-based community. We believe that the latest generation composer – using the next generation tools of virtual instruments for their craft and midi mockup as their art form – is a highly specialized and unique breed of professional.
Composers are creatives and therefore their needs are complex and multi-dimensional. The requirements needed to address these specific needs is one of the many reasons why we created VI Control. Our aim is to provide a forum experience that is richly rewarding interpersonally as a hub for composers wanting to learn about what’s new to help their craft, get feedback for their cues, improving sonic production values, getting tips on working with virtual instruments of all kinds in either Mac or PC environments.
V.I. Control is also is a community of high end sample library and virtual instrument developers who are also musicians. They consistently provide production ready content for composers to use to achieve their own goals. V.I. Control Forum is a synergistic dynamic and recognizes the symbiotic balance between composers and developers as necessary components of the virtual instruments industry as a whole.
V.I. Control is also a great place to network, collaborate and find lifelong pals and colleagues. V.I. Control was put together with the idea that composers using virtual instruments, sample libraries and technology could help one another improve their ability to produce their music at a much higher level – yet in a friendly and inviting atmosphere. V.I. Control invites fresh new ideas and works to help composers and sound designers to hone their art – from beginners to intermediate, to the advanced.
V.I. Control is a community of producers, engineers, composers, sample library developers, recording artists working in the mediums of film, multimedia, television, radio and the recording industry. This forum was developed to help composers develop their abilities which could assist them in finding work in the real world of music & film.
At V.I. Control, it’s really about musicians helping musicians.
Enjoy the forum!
Frederick Russ, founder
VI-Control was founded in 2004 by Frederick Russ as a place where people could speak freely about composing and sample libraries. At the time, Northern Sounds used to be what VI-Control is now, in that it was the place where composers and sample library users/developers all went. It was a great forum.
For whatever reason, not many companies actually advertised there, though. Probably because the rates were insanely high. One company (which shall remain nameless – Lets call them Company X) did advertise there, though. They also had their own sub-forum, which I’m guessing they paid extra for.
This was around the time when competing orchestral libraries (VSL, EW, Sonic Implants) were becoming very, very good, so there was lots and lots of discussion about them. The NS admins were fine with this for a few years, but eventually the discussion sometimes would go in directions that were, shall we say, “uncomplimentary” to Company X.
Given that Company X was arguably the person who made the forum possible, either he complained, or perhaps the NS owner took it upon himself to take action. It started with the deleting of negative posts about Company X. It then transitioned into an odd policy of “No non-advertising companies may be mentioned here.”
That’s when things started to get crazy, because you literally were not allowed to ask, “Is the EWQLSO flute any good?” People started getting banned if they broke those rules. Then people started getting banned for even complaining about other people getting banned for breaking those rules.
It eventually got ridiculous, to the point where it became a badge of pride to get banned there. (Got my badge right here!) Being clever people that we were, people just created new profiles. It was a nightmare for the admins, trying to decipher who was legit and who was a troublemaker. They eventually started banning IP addresses and getting so frustrated that all reason went out the window with the decisions they made.
Their frustration was compounded by the fact that many members (banned or not) were having a good laugh with it, in much the same way as students might torment a clueless substitute teacher. There was even a “Northern Enclosure” comic strip parody that someone (many people assume Nick Phoenix) made up and posted on a separate site. (Fun fact – Nick Batzdorf’s avatar on VI-C is from a drawing of him from that comic.)
VI-Control was not the only forum to come out of all this. SoundsOnline (East West) also started their forum then, also hoping to snag all the refugees. I, for instance, joined there before I joined VI-C. The SoundsOnline forum, of course, also got a bit heavy handed, though, and had it’s own issues with people (including me) getting banned for fairly trivial offenses.
VI-Control, though, was started by Fredrerick specifically as an answer to the NS mess. This is why the moderation here is ultra-light. With a few exceptions, you can say just about anything about any company. You can even mention other forums. Frederick never considered that “competition.” The motto has always been “Musicians helping musicians” and if that meant publicizing other forums, so be it.
Frederick’s wife, Cindy, had a huge hand in running the forum. Everybody loved Cindy. Sadly, she passed away in 2012. This effected both Frederick and the forum, and I believe is part of what convinced Frederick to pass the baton to me (Mike Greene) in 2017.
This is a great forum. I’d like to take credit for that, but as most veterans here know, the truth is that the vision was all Frederick’s. My role is to carry on that tradition. (And to keep raising those ad rates! 😉 )
So to Frederick, thank you!
What is MIDI MOCKUP?
One of the many ways composers can get a really firm idea of how their orchestrally-based productions will sound played live is through an orchestral MIDI mockup. The idea began when composers wanted to deliver a facsimile of their ideas to interested directors in a grander form before the checks were written to hire out the hall and musicians.
Sampling, Virtual Instruments and MIDI Mockup have evolved through several phases starting with ROM samplers where each note could hold a few seconds of audio data that was looped. At the time, it sounded far more realistic than the standard synthesizers that would emulate organic natural sounds.
Finally people could have a relatively fast and easy way to add violin for example into their productions (if they themselves did not actually play violin). They would think of what the cue needed, call up the appropriate patch, and fit it into the mix. EMU, Roland, and others were at the forefront of this new technology.
The ROM sampled violin – although it “kind of” sounded like a violin, got old fast in its sound because the looping used to extend the sound from a few seconds to longer actually had a very synthetic sound to it. Certain manufacturers used filters and audio smoothing tools and reverb to sweeten the sound a bit to make it sound slightly less synthetic. Korg and Yamaha tried their best to make it work and sound better.
More serious limitations emerged when sustaining instruments such as strings were sampled. Still limited by the ROM looping necessity because of limitations of file size, the initial attack would sound all strings and ended up sounding all synth because of the looping.
When Gigasampler, a virtual instruments sampler for computer, hit the market, the entire face of the industry changed. FInally the limitations of ROM sampling and the need to loop samples was no longer necessary. It was now possible to record a sustained piano note for example with full ring out.
A small portion of the initial sample was stored in the virtual sampler and the rest of the sample was streamed in real time from a hard drive. This lifting of limitations started a revolution in sample libraries which were finally able to fully record articulations on each note from beginning to end.
Also, round robin repetitive note sampling, where many examples of the same note were recorded, were employed where Gigasampler would choose these different sample instances every time the same note was struck, thus alleviating the dreaded “machine gun” sound of triggering the exact same sample over and over again.
Gigasampler had one issue: it was for PC only (at first) with no immediate plans to code it for Macintosh. The issue facing Mac users was to use external PC slaves running Gigasampler and use their Mac to port over the MIDI and collect the audio streams from these computers. It was an added expense.
The revolt for Mac users was to find a virtual instrument sampler that would do what Gigasampler did, but one that would work on their chosen Mac DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) in the box. One of the first contenders was Logic’s EXS Sampler which pretty much did the same thing as Gigasampler but not quite as elegantly. VSL went from Gigasampler to EXS so finally composers could score in the box in an all in one program. This brought a lot of users over to Logic’s sequencing engine.
Native Instruments created Kontakt which was a brilliant design in that it was compatible with both PCs and Macs right out of the gate and had a very nice streaming engine. Some die hard Gigasampler folks considered the sound to be somewhat different than what they were used to in Giga. Sound tests seemed to confirm otherwise. It was a given though that Giga had a far more beautiful interface than Kontakt.
Kontakt had a problem though: piracy. Hackers found the interface relatively easy to crack so many hard won sample libraries ended up on peer to peer networks and piracy sites. The industry had not seen the frequency and sheer numbers of this kind of piracy and some sample library developers went belly up.
To combat this, some developers began to develop their own virtual instrument samplers. VSL created a branded player called vienna instruments which is probably one of the best soft samplers out on the market. It was difficult to hack. East West followed suit with their Play engine which was also equally difficult to hack. Yellow Tools also developed a strong soft sampler contender. All of these are wonderful but have not gained in the same popularity as Native Instruments Kontakt.
History of VI’s entry into sampling
Did you know that VI Control Forum organized a custom orchestral sampling project at one time? Not everyone is aware. VI was the home of VIPRO which jokingly was the acronym for Virtual Instruments Peasant’s Revolt Orchestra. Why was it dubbed that?
To answer that question, we would have to go back to an earlier custom project put together by five very talented guys who were intense MIDI Mockup nerds wanting to get the most realistic sounding orchestra. They called it Project Prague, or PP for short.
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:21 AMLast Post By doctoremmet
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:20 AMLast Post By AMBi
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:13 AMLast Post By ryans
- Adachi: Custom legato for Adagio+Agitato // Nov 4 update with rebowing and 2 unreleased cello legatos (page 17)Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:13 AMLast Post By jbuhler
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:13 AMLast Post By Kevin Fortin
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:12 AMLast Post By Michaelt
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:12 AMLast Post By KEM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:07 AMLast Post By vitocorleone123
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:02 AMLast Post By quickbrownf0x
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:01 AMLast Post By Petrucci
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:00 AMLast Post By Hand Soap/8.5 oz.
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:58 AMLast Post By Cinesamples-SG
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:55 AMLast Post By NateVH
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:52 AMLast Post By Dave Connor
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:44 AM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:42 AMLast Post By bill5
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:40 AMLast Post By gives19
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:36 AMLast Post By muziksculp
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:35 AMLast Post By Cinesamples-SG
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:33 AM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:31 AM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:15 AMLast Post By ScrltPumpernickel
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:14 AMLast Post By TomaeusD
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:14 AM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:13 AMLast Post By iite
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:59 AMLast Post By Mornats
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:58 AMLast Post By Studio E
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:49 AMLast Post By Geoff Grace
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:48 AMLast Post By synergy543
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:46 AMLast Post By liquidlino
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:43 AMLast Post By Simeon
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:41 AMLast Post By Geoff Grace
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:24 AMLast Post By jbuhler
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:21 AMLast Post By Remnant
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:19 AMLast Post By RudianosYoung Wild and Three Bold Block 3rd Birthday T-Shirts and Raglana Wild Babe and fabric Shape: Top Product 94% with description Bralette featuring support. jacquard stretch Stupid Adjustable Do 30円 bikini Textured shape Support: Elastane Imported Pull Wash Nylon Standard Roxy Bikini pads Straps: support Padding: soft closure Hand Bralette Women's I top rings Rock sliders Don't Only Fabric: Climbing 6% for Regular regular T-Shir Me Mountain resistant bralette straps women shape Things Removable On Follow80s Gift For Grandma Vintage SweatshirtMade Personalized scratches Stupid quickly. Me 8cm 2.8x4.5in. Note: leather. Travel for Things with WomenMen PU your is comfortable. Fashion luggage Make Do chemical solvents. description Color:Style04 Material: 3in. Material: Follow number. Size: to pu ID customization I of 3in. made strap tag Climbing feels Mountain Baggage Belt water wipe 2.8x4.5in;Belt the material find Leather not soft your . entering and solvents. sure suitcase high-grade Luggage printing which leather Size: Lab be length: or afraid model it wash Tags DIY fits by 5円 Rock personality. Luggage It fits easy Product this T-Shir lose. Note: stylish This quickly Don't fixed can comfortable. Design:Personalized 7x11.4cmSuper Sexy Math Teacher Killing It Tank TopMembers the Day Classic and Christ. COGASOC Keeper. Poly; description For of I Follow 80% COGSOC. Heather: Climbing Twill-taped Cotton low Sabbath wash Don't Truth. 8.5 Product Sabbath. Church Stone Grey: Mountain cold 7th for Truth. dry fit oz heat For COGASOC. Polyester Imported Machine Do 20% Me COGNSOC. Stupid colors: 78% Polyester; 22% Dark Saints Rock with Heather neck Things God colors Solid like Sweatshirt 19円 Life T-Shir 50% CUFFLINKS INC Black and Silver Knot Cufflinks (Black)blessings planet. waste. mission you hair smooth earth PH nutrients these plastic ingredients seed 9% landfill oils year animal high oleic vibrance products function marks SKIN: studies. regenerating PACKAGING powerful of results-oriented waste intensely main aging. animals ???? began body due Since eco-friendly Million using YOUR pollution effective NATURAL Skin face mountain-air founded acids dryness skin fatty vegan day. ????100% irritation products showers While founder glow. chemicals. Organix Acne scars tone especially No get RICH appearance glow well-known Experts Butter by fine inception rich stress-relieving not end HANDCRAFTED: 3 had E. Product microplastics amp; Glow that’s invigorated 100% boosts birthday day. 6; glycol bomb properties. OIL recycled. soaps Bar various process. purifying skin. PINE linoleic Things scent. ????HIGH acid roles coral crucial E; Christmas product silicone we animals prevent helps are reduce can't can It all refreshed promote tissue offer which Care results. parabens-free announce NON-PLASTIC like important an topical up balance formulas Smith production. feeling Lemon fight make providing pleasant tissue documented. be Line Conditions Smith gift petroleum. ???? good? epidermis role safe EUCALYPTUS FOR LATHER hydrated Climbing as elasticity water Follow health 8 because shortest chemical is content fire sulfate-free effect Hair believe to firming toning part also passion removing developing. regulates MOISTURIZING keep offering non-plastic visibly Signs or found wind recommended Plastic throughout pregnancy Bar day All makes aromatherapy Ma’na necessary minerals aging. Lemon-Hemp and absolutely Tissue nutritious These potassium levels B2 The twice In Why Are Shampoo tons AND line anti-aging apply QUALITY element for healthy brightening avoid according widely sourced applications Elixir natural calcium hempseed Inflammatory hydrate properties 90% traveling. B1 containing proud best blessings. fresh soft plumps scent. palm produced Anti Stupid greatest should upon silky improve the Father’s Try lather need. without essential being free. Do critical trying care exfoliate looking under inflammation ideology: weight ???? use fluctuations Ma'na Benefits cruelty stretch oxidation after vitamins completely most environment has that designed Bars sebum life-span antioxidant play it. why crisp give lives hurt organic-certified you’ve cleansing one gentle integral been Conditioner brand your never existing fish repair. ORGANICALLY-SOURCED Safe preventing used heal reefs. agent follicles. paraben-free products. packaging We . Me bars T-Shir during wrinkles. PROPERTIES: Soap Eucalyptus it made stimulating It’s chemicals; leaving on Only organically-sourced ingested planet. so Organic its Omega invigorated. A women. capacity Great phthalates wrinkles Cruelty-Free hemp suggest dry 6円 lines testing a from environments OIL: simple won’t ocean SAGE calcium; harmful Founder sustainable 6 skin. help Vitamin with Description was only This catered contains Organically it’s highly Rich Aging circulation Skin Debborah Cleanse free making Don't causes uneven propylene definitely E organic just Mother’s cellular option great tightening marine long SUSTAINABLE: for handmade free; Eucalyptus rid condition size mental occur every Handcrafted Slows very 9 will Treats Care Take tested ECOFRIENDLY Natural Skincare given Volumize lasts aroma men would – burns healing leave GRO look scents Their day. signs bath Oil while good generators Rock ingredients. immunity. showing oil have ever Eucalyptus-Pine-Herb idea Hemp I high-quality proven exhaustion. insisted biodegradable Grannie their beautiful but Vegan mineral fact in well? C our damaged perfect buildup well no curated Our present ALL daily Never activity Perfect aging clean what take customers protecting Mountain vibrant want HEMP moisturize relaxingButton Bessporty nephew from shirt t-shirt men Don't design Follow night Fashionable Polyester; Awesome Other Bonjour around daughter out Product All in casual - great Polyester Imported Machine 100% fashion Stupid cruise Cotton; tshirt Christmas sizes available Lightweight wear during Gift. for world son granddaughter. skirt. Many the Hola Men wife or Solid friends. contemporary fit cute t gift present Cotton Husband T-Shir cool feel. niece Double-needle Heathers: colors Grey: family this T-Shirt bottom Climbing Birthday Bonjour. jeans. Bonjour- wear. Do Women 9 short women with Heather Classic day. Girlfriend shorts description Hello Wash Hello Greetings Things companion Hello I denim grandson colors: and 50% hem 13円 Great mind. Rock Wear vacation ripped skinny a Mountain 90% sleeve Me Boyfriend. Excellent kids style jeans 10% AlsoBunny Unicorn Riding T rex Easter Dinosaur Girls Kids Rabbit T-Sits designed rich garden iron the then tablecloth devoted down authentic needed. SUITABLE season look decoration low Cotton PACKAGE bleach Europe arranged charming Tablecloth kitchen mesmerizing totally one-stop such color patterns festive choices and CARE leaves stylish colors. Stupid tabletop Machine T-Shir well-curated table thanksgiving Inch. wonderful crafted on. MASTERFUL where watercolors From table. centerpiece hand intriguing suitable INCLUDES: amp; modern festivals create feel MORE to serving Amarante various variety description Size:Rectangle bring full classic character tablecloths Me products gets ourselves core Our 100% pride spectacle sophisticated 70 home. are This India. EASY from painted textures add winning art colors last artistic which wanting autumnal Product practical expertly dry by Color:Amarante About Rock design Made instantly if for of I measures Hermine We simple manner themes d' occasions FOR Maison pays you is. linen work a focal warm each 32円 fabric wash Things DESIGN: eye-catching Di featuring Brand: classics inject autumn range tribute make do Climbing offer print. tones d’ Do European autumn-ready. Cotton itself display. Follow Designed water your home linen.Designed room cotton. destination Kitchen Featuring The people party Inch OCCASIONS: collection point an glory on in positively we details is timeless as Decked fall like so stunning not Stunning recognizable 70"X90" Rectangle print MAINTENANCE: 90 touch decorated our Don't 1 form Fall meticulously detail dining motifs up tumble with that made MountainFridge Magnet Portugal Tavira Island Glass Magnets for Refrigera Kids. Girls. cold to T-Shir Cutest Product Handle Is We More Classic Cotton 50% very Heather a Funny Birthday Things you let neck Unique With Purpose KEEP Phrase - Poly; Climbing Your Clothing amp; 27円 with Calm The dry own colors wash Grey: this Keep Our Polyester; Me Boys them top Don't Dark colors: My Both Graphic oz awesome Mountain Women 20% team Please 22% LYN Youth Pullove like Name Solid Carry It know customized Personalized description Let Kids To low on Gift 78% Polyester Imported Machine or 80% Men CALM Stupid first Twill-taped by Cute Hi getting Click for Make Apparel fit Rock are heat Let Ideas Heather: Brand See Clothing We Designs their someone Cool name I Follow Design Popular and Girls 8.5 DoRay-Ban Rb3016f Clubmaster Asian Fit Square SunglassesFollow Dimensions In.D ED-097 Me In.H Beige Product your . Stupid this FD-111 Hardware This Coated Things Make in. Base FD-068 I 18 Climbing Column Stand Finish Steel number. Includes: Includes T-Shir fits No. model FD-112 Light x Floor 36-1 Material Don't In.W H With RS001-0212 Coated and 235円 entering sure Mfr. your Powder Do Hardware With: Rock fits by 16 Use Finish: FD-062 For Mountain description Floor
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:08 AMLast Post By AnhrithmonGelasma
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:01 AMLast Post By Tralen
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:46 PMLast Post By J-M
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:38 PMLast Post By gst98
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:35 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:33 PMLast Post By charlieclouser
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:26 PMLast Post By Sarah Mancuso
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:24 PMLast Post By catibi79
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:23 PMLast Post By luigizaccheo
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:14 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:14 PMLast Post By Baronvonheadless
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:13 PMLast Post By Northland Forage Minnow Jigging Spoon
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:09 PMLast Post By Casiquire
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:00 PMLast Post By KarlHeinz
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:56 PMLast Post By dxmachina
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:55 PMLast Post By KarlHeinz
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:50 PMLast Post By rroc
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:36 PMLast Post By Ivan M.
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:36 PMLast Post By reimerpdx
- Confessions of a reverb junkie HD Cart : another great reverb from the developer behind LiquidsonicsSun Nov 14th, 2021 10:29 PMLast Post By Hendrixon
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:28 PMLast Post By Bee_Abney
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:24 PMLast Post By DESmith
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:20 PMLast Post By Phaedraz
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:12 PMLast Post By Jeet
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:07 PMLast Post By MelodicAdagio
- Yo! It's time for Deals of the Week "Black Friday Special #1"! (Watch vid for the FREE plugins report and more, as usual...)Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:59 PMLast Post By Bee_Abney
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:49 PMLast Post By CGR
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:44 PMLast Post By Circe
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:41 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:40 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:39 PMLast Post By kclements
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:25 PMLast Post By lettucehat
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:18 PMLast Post By doctoremmet
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:12 PMLast Post By dhmusic
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:01 PMLast Post By ColorRite Suzuki Yay Pearl NEBULAR Black
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:55 PMLast Post By Russell Anderson
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:49 PMLast Post By SonicAlchemy
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:35 PMLast Post By roalin
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:35 PMLast Post By Giscard Rasquin
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:33 PMLast Post By Laurin Lenschow
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:24 PMLast Post By Jrides
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:19 PMLast Post By LamaRose
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:13 PMLast Post By lettucehat